COMBERTON PARISH COUNCIL

Wednesday 11 October 2006 in the old Village Hall at 7.00pm

 

Members present:

Councillors:

 

 

 

Mrs A Webb

Mr A Hollick

Mr D Ellis

Mr D Coulson

Mr D Charge

Mr R Rowlands

Miss C Westgarth (Chairman)

Mrs D Morison

Dr C Chambers

Mrs S Hyde

Dr J McCabe

 

In attendance: Ian Dewar CALC's Parish & Town Council Support Officer, Cllr S Harangozo (District Cllr) Mrs G Stoehr (Clerk) and 6 members of the public.

Comments and observations from members of the public

Mr Ian Dewar CALC's Parish & Town Council Support Officer was welcomed to the meeting and he gave a presentation on Quality Council Status. There was an opportunity for questions and a discussion on the scheme. Mr Dewar was thanked for attending.

A resident alleged that the meeting had not been advertised on the notice board. As three members declared they had seen it the Parish Council deemed the meeting was lawful and could continue.  Concern was also expressed that members were assembled at 7pm when Contact had said the meeting would start at 7.30pm. It was noted that this was for the training session. The resident is to be sent a copy of the agenda each month.

 

1.         To approve apologies for absence including resignation of member and declarations of interest

1.0       Satisfactory apologies were received from Dr H Roscoe (out of parish). Apologies were also received from Cllr D Baldwin (County Cllr).

1.1       The following declarations of interest were received:

·        D Ellis declared an interest in item: 3.2 as a ‘Hereward Housing committee member’.

·        Mrs Morison declared a personal interest in item: 3.1 - The Valley as a resident.

2.         To approve the minutes of the meeting on 13 September (inc the confidential minutes)

2.0       On a proposition by Mrs Morison, seconded by Mr Ellis the minutes of the meeting on 13 September 2006 were approved as a true record and signed by the Chairman with following one amendment in item 8.3 one of the ‘maximum of £100’ should be deleted as it is a repeat.

2.1       On a proposition by Mr Hollick, seconded by Dr Chambers the confidential minutes were also approved as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

3          Matters arising or carried forward from the meeting including

3.1       (3) CCC/highway matters including Barton Road, The Valley including reply on complaint from Richard Preston (CCC) & advice from CALC (if received)

3.1.0    The response from Mr R Preston dated 4 October 2006[1] regarding the Barton Road complaint was noted and considered. On a proposition by Miss Westgarth, seconded by Mrs Hyde it was agreed to arrange a site meeting to discuss the installation of the interactive sign which the Parish Council will fund.  The vote was recorded as 9 for and 2 against.

Miss Westgarth, Mrs Hyde and Mr Charge are to attend the meeting and represent the Parish Council. It was also agreed to invite Brian Smith or Mark Kemp and Cllr Baldwin to attend the meeting. The complaints satisfaction form is to be carried forward to the next meeting pending the outcome of the site meeting.  

3.1.1    The Valley - Legal advice from NALC[2] regarding the appropriation of land out of the Public Open Space (POS) was noted and considered.  On a proposition by Mr Charge, seconded by Mrs Hyde it was agreed that the Parish Council would write to all the homes in ‘The Valley’ and check the implications of required advertising. It was also agreed that quotes should be sought for suitable surface materials. The vote was recorded as 9 for, 1 against and 1 abstention.

3.2       (4.2) Affordable housing survey questionnaire[3]

            It was agreed to carry this item forward to the next meeting for further consideration.

3.3       (4.3) Advertising in the conservation area

            It was agreed to carry this item forward to the next meeting for further consideration.

3.4       (1) Resignation of member and Co-option

It was noted that there has been 1 expression of interest.  However the Parish Council are currently waiting confirmation from SCDC that they can co-opt onto the Parish Council.

4.         County Councillor and District Councillor reports & questions

            Cllr S Harangozo reported on:

·        The SCDC Gypsy & Travellers Sites consultations

·        On a Major Survey to start on Cambridgeshire’s traffic problems[4]

The Parish Council asked Cllr Harangozo to pursue the following on their behalf:

·        Missing road name signs.

·        Weed spraying

·        Travellers in Woottens Close

·        The outstanding certificate of lawful development notifications.

5.         Finance

5.1       Quality Councils – to consider if the Parish Council will apply for QC status

Further to the presentation at the beginning of the meeting from Ian Dewar it was agreed to carry this item forward.

5.2       To receive the financial report and to approve the payment of bills[5]

The financial report was received and considered and checked by a member against the invoices and statements. On a proposition by Dr Chambers, seconded by Mrs Morison it was agreed that the payments as listed in the financial report should be paid plus: Moore Stephens £763.75, A Marsh £150 and MD Landscapes £810.75.

SCDC (Rates)

£111.00

A Marsh (Pavilion)

£90.00

Briar Security (pavilion)

£52.87

LGS Services (admin support)

£774.35

LG Stoehr (salary)

£136.76

Dent's (keys)

£75.20

A Marsh (pavilion)

£150.00

The following was noted:

·        The annual Audit has now been concluded and everything was found to be in order. A notice advertising the closure of the Audit has been put up on the Notice Board.

·        £1 has been received from the Allotments Society for the lease.

6.         To receive reports and members items and consider recommendations there in

6.1       Parish Plan including Youth work – PARC project

Details of the PARC project[6] were considered.  It was agreed to invite the PARC project to give their free overview training session.  It was also agreed that Susannah Harris from SCDC should be invited to attend the next meeting to discuss her offer to assist with the youth projects in the Parish Plan.

6.1.1    Connections Bus

            It was noted that there has been recent problems with youngsters causing problems out of hours at the School and intimidation of residents/people. It was highlighted that there had been four phone calls made to the Police by the School but no response had been received not even to the 999 calls! It was agreed that a complaint should be made to the Police and Carly English.

In response to the request for an alternative site it was agreed to suggest to the Connections Bus that they use/relocate the position of their Bus to Comberton Village College car park. 

6.2       Planning[7]

            The planning report was taken as read.

6.3       Tree Group

            The following was noted/considered:

·        The Tree Group’s suggestions for the proposed replacement planting in The Valley[8] and also Mrs Caine’s suggestions.

·        It was agreed to consult in writing all ‘The Valley’ residents including those overlooking the site. Mrs Hyde’s kind offer to hand deliver the letters was gratefully accepted. It was agreed to carry this matter forward to the next meeting to allow the consultation to take place.

·        Pond area – It was agreed to seek quotes for the wall to be extended and to consider these in the draft budget. 

·        Watts Wood – An official opening is to be arranged.

6.4       Assets review – to set a date

It was agreed that this should be set for Saturday 17 November at 1.30pm and that Andy Marsh should be invited to attend if he is able.

It was agreed to vary the order of business to take the following item next.

7.2       Andy Marsh – Request for skip to enable the garage to be tidied

Andy Marsh’s request for a skip to enable him to tidy the garage was considered and approved as long as the skip is of an appropriate size.

6.5       TWG[9]

            The report was taken as read.

6.6       Proposal for a Multi Sport event in Comberton in 2007

Mr Coulson's suggestion for a ‘Comberton Combithon’[10] a Village Sports Day on 23 June 2007 if possible was considered.  On a proposition by Miss Westgarth, seconded by Mrs Hyde it was agreed that the Parish Council is supportive of any event that brings together the community. While it is expected that the event would be self-financing, the Parish Council agreed fund costs up to the normal cost of its summer event budget if required. Mr Coulson will organise the event with support from other representatives from the village.  Mr Coulson is to check with the Cricket Club that it does not have a prior booking for a home match on that date.

6.7       Village Hall representatives and Steering Group representatives

6.7.0    Village Hall report[11]

The Parish Council paid tribute to Ruby Prior, Comberton's oldest resident who had recently died.  It was agreed to consult with the village as to the name of the new hall.  Miss Westgarth is to write an article to be put in ‘Contact’. 

It was noted that the hall is progressing well and that the electricity in the new hall had been switched on today.   The village hall is in the process of being demolished and the electricity to this has been cut off.   Mrs Prior's relatives kindly offered her chair lift for use in the new hall.  Alternative venues for lettings have been arranged whilst the Village Hall is out of use, this has include use of the pavilion.

7.         To consider matters arising out of correspondence/communications received including

7.1       Village Hall Trustees – request that Lease be issued before terms of agreement have been satisfied

The e-mail from B Cook (VH Trustees) dated 21 September 2006[12] asking that the condition requiring the completion of the car park before the release of the lease be removed was considered.  On a proposition by Dr Chambers, seconded by Mrs Hyde the Parish Council agreed that this condition be removed. 

The Parish Council noted the business plan - a work in progress report had been received at the last meeting.   It was hoped that the trustees would obtain the outstanding funds to enable the car park and external works to be completed before too long.   However some funds were in place to do the basics so that the hall could open shortly.

7.3       Community Strategy & briefing 15 November 2006, SCDC[13]

            Noted.

8.         Closure of meeting

There was no further business and the meeting closed at 10.28 pm.

 

 

 

Signed   …………………………………….  .Chairman   …………………date



These reports are listed for ease of reference only and do not form part of the minutes of the meeting.

[1] Letter/response from Mr R Preston dated 4/10/06 re: Barton Road complaint

[2] The Valley - Legal advice from NALC re: the appropriation of land out of the (POS)

[3] Affordable housing survey questionnaire

[4] Major Survey to start on Cambridgeshire’s traffic problems

[5] Financial Report

[6] Details of the PARC project

[7] Planning report

[8] The Tree Group’s suggestions for replacement planting

[9] TWG report

[10] Document from ‘Comberton Combithon’ re: ideas for a Village Sports Day

[11] Village Hall report

[12] E-mail from B Cook (VH Trustees) dated 21/09/06 - request that Lease be issued before terms of agreement have been satisfied

[13] Community Strategy & briefing 15 November 2006, SCDC